Being in the leaflet distribution business, I’m always on the look out for interesting developments in the world of leafleting. So when I saw the headline stating ‘John Malkovich hands out flyers at Edinburgh Fringe’, of course I needed to read more. Really…a top nosh actor gracing our industry? This had to be fascinating…
Hollywood movie star, John Malkovich was spotted on the Royal Mile handing out flyers for his Edinburgh Fringe show. When asked about the leaflet distribution experience, he said ‘it was fun’. Must have been quite a thing to see a celebrity backing a marketing campaign to this extent – proof that flyer distribution obviously works.
Leafleting delivers results, no doubt about it, and it’s being embraced by many businesses these days as a vital part of their marketing strategies. In this instance it was serious enough to justify getting a Hollywood actor involved. Hmmm…quite a clever move come to think of it; with all the tips we’ve offered on how to create winning leaflet delivery campaigns, guess we should have added ‘hire a celebrity to deliver your flyers’ to the list.
On the other hand, Malkovich also said that some people weren’t interested in taking his flyers and added ‘You always get turned away. That’s your lot in life’. I found this amusingly familiar, as any of us involved in marketing are well aware of the challenges of the craft. People are bombarded with advertising and we’ve all become extremely choosy about what we’ll allow in to our conscious thinking. Door to door marketing and leaflet distribution is an art that requires much research and clever solutions. If a famous film star can’t get everybody to read his flyers, then we need to be that much more savvy in our approach. Are our distribution flyers interesting and enticing enough to reach those elusive customers? (Just in case you’re thinking this sounds like an impossible task…never fear, it can be done).
Some quick reminders to note when launching a leafleting campaign and yes, without the help of a celebrity:
- Planning your flyer distribution campaign is essential
- Do some research – know your target market and what really appeals to them.
- Consider the design of your leaflet – are you using the best colours and flyer size to describe your product/service appropriately?
- Research leaflet distribution companies – know what they offer and make sure you’re using the best one to get the results you want.
- Make your message clear – sell the benefits of your product, not its features. Show how the benefits will fulfil a need or enhance the reader’s life.
Be great to hear any other interesting stories…